Sunshine

I do magic.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Queer Pride

“Sex in the missionary position is considered normal. If you turn the other way round, it is abnormal, according to the government. If you get a b… job – the next day your wife could drag you to court and invoke article 377” I can’t believe I was listening to all this with a straight face, trying to look very knowledgeable. I must have evolved in all these years. Its not long ago, it wasn’t even normal using the SEX word in conversations. I was at the Queer Pride Parade yesterday, just as I was last year – out of curiosity. Everyone looked so happy really, more than straight people. The colour and clothing were added attractions. I was a bit late in catching the parade this time and so I hurriedly walked alongside hoping to catch some bytes before they got to the final stop. I was on my own and needed someone to get a picture of me in the crowd, the one that will make people wonder, is she or isn’t she. And maybe that’s why I didn’t get married. I spotted a safe looking guy standing around the corner on the pavement – one who hopefully wouldn’t run off with my camera. He was only too willing to take my picture after which I joined him on the pavement precariously balancing myself on a shaky pothole cover. “You here to check em out?” I asked. He looked at me aghast and for a minute didn’t answer. Then he said “I’m one of them!” and pointing his finger to his T Shirt which I hadn’t noticed. Two arrows in opposite directions read My Boyfriend and My Other Boyfriend. It meant he said, that he swings both ways! Now this was getting interesting. He decided I was a journalist and told me I should write about their problems. The government had to stop viewing them as some sort of queer people – but then isn’t that why they are called Queer? What business had the government to get into anyone’s bedroom and keep a tab on how people had sex? Homosexuality is nothing new in India. It is all over temples and in books. It was even encouraged in palaces and Eunuchs as we all know served as perfect guards to the queens (the real ones I mean) while their rajas were having a ball elsewhere. I guess he meant, how dare the police get after them when they get cosy in public? But if it’s any consolation, the police get after any people sitting in pairs, at certain times of the month. It’s just to tip them and they’ll turn the other way. Don’t believe it, visit Nehru Park or any park at dusk. It’s coupling all the way, gay or no way! He was delighted anyway that three ministers were now discussing changing the law. Would it be wise to repeal it totally? Oh no, he said they didn’t have to do that if they were worried about HIV and opening the floodgates. What was that supposed to mean – are we all waiting to rediscover ourselves? Jokes aside, it was just to decriminalise homosexuality! Then very innocently I asked him his name. He looked very embarrassed and I could tell he didn’t want that published. Well, I said, “oh ok, wrong question.” I let him know I wasn’t a journalist. A free lancer? He didn’t give up. I said, yes, for anyone who likes to read my delicious tales. He seemed ok with that and we continued our chat. Sweet two way street this. He told me he’s married – till a few months back for whatever reason and has two kids. But then he has a boyfriend too. I wanted to know more, but in a first meeting one doesn’t ask too many questions right? A group of young boys walked over. He called out to one and said how pleased he was to see him minus a mask this time. I excused myself – couldn’t handle five of them for a first time. The lot – which looked like a good part of Delhi’s population gathered in front of a stage. The leaders addressed them and some more slogans were raised against Article 377. By now it was getting dark. It was hot and sweaty too and everyone wanted to go home. When the speeches ended, there was a call to light the candle. For the benefit of the Hindi speaking, the guy called out “Mombatti jalao” at which everyone started laughing. Now I wonder what it is about the mombatti! Well, that’s for the next time. A two minute silence observed the parade came to an end. Photographs at http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=mkmfoma.52dha1ca&x=0&y=uxn25&localeid=en_US

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home